The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development ("EBRD" or the "Bank") wishes to contribute to the improvement of the investment climate in the Republic of Tajikistan and is in the process of establishing a Secretariat of the Consultative Council on Investment Climate (the "Council") to maintain policy dialogue at a high level between the government, the business community and donors. To carry this out, a support team headed by the Head of Secretariat, already engaged, is being established and now requires two Economic/Financial Consultants (the "assignments").
The tasks of the Economic/Financial Consultants will include, inter alia, the following:
- Support the Head of Secretariat to identify key impediments to investment by local and foreign enterprises and main drivers and agents of investment for consideration by the Council using their respective background knowledge and expertise;
- Support the Head of Secretariat to steer the process and manage day-to-day operations of the Council starting from inception until the assignment has ended;
- Support the Head of Secretariat to prepare/coordinate analytical work in areas identified by the Council to support their deliberations;
- Under the direction of the Head of Secretariat, create specific working groups (eg on introduction of a pledge law) as a follow up to Council discussions. Coordinate with other stakeholders involved in working groups. Provide support to them using their economic/financial expertise;
- Draft quarterly report for the Head of Secretariat to the Bank’s Resident Office in Dushanbe and specified staff at the Bank’s Headquarters in London;
- Draft annual reports for the Head of Secretariat summarising the achievements of the Secretariat to the Bank copied to relevant government bodies involved in the process;
- Occasionally participate in the regional conferences and workshops, where appropriate, on investment climate with the view to learning lessons from the experiences gained by other countries that faced similar issues and also exchanging ideas with them how to address common situations;
- Any other tasks that may arise.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The assignment is expected to start around January 2009 and last for 2 years. These are full-time roles and the Consultants are expected to be resident in the country. The assignments may be extended, subject to project needs, satisfactory performance of the Consultants and availability of funding.
Value Added Tax (VAT): The consultants must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank’s special status as an International Financial Institution and state this to the Bank in their response to Notification of Assignment. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (eg VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: The Contracts will be financed through the Early Transition Countries (ETC) Multi-Donor Fund
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions
Consultant Profile: Individual services are sought. Firms may propose candidates but the evaluation will be based on the skills and experience of the individual and not the firm.
The two successful individuals should be able to demonstrate the following:
- at least 5 years' relevant work experience at the highest possible levels preferably both in the public and private sectors
- strong analytical background in the economics/finance field with at least one postgraduate degree in Economics
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Tajik or Russian
- strong interpersonal skills.
Submission Requirements: Responses to the notification (not exceeding a two-page covering letter, plus CV) are to be submitted in English, by email to the contact person given below no later than the closing date.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview in the Republic of Tajikstan before the completion of the selection process. Please title your email "Economic Expert" and send it to the following person.
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6363
Fax: +44 20 7338 7451
Note: Selection and contracting will normally be made from responses to this notification. The Consultant will be selected from a shortlist, subject to availability of funding.