Assignment Title: Strategic Planning for Small and Medium-Sized Hydropower Development
The Kyrgyz Republic has a vast hydropower potential that holds a key to future economic development of the country. Despite its abundant generation capacity at home, the Kyrgyz power system has experienced shortage in power supply to meet the peak demands in winter due to insufficient water available for power generation. It is expected that the power demand grows about 5% per year in the next 10 to 15 years. Considering its uneven and sparsely populated area, small-scale hydro power represents one of the most efficient alternatives to large hydropower and fossil fuel sources of power supply.
The Kyrgyz Government wishes to undertake a technical cooperation assignment aiming to develop its small to medium scale hydropower potential. The primary focus of the assignment is to promote the use of renewable energy sources, with a focus on small and medium sized hydropower and to create favourable investment climate for private sector participation in renewable energy development in the country.
In order to meet the above objective, the Consultant shall undertake different tasks including inter alia:
- Conduct a baseline assessment on small to medium-sized hydropower development in the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Review of existing mechanism for the support and integration of small to medium sized hydropower and of existing regulatory capacity in the country;
- Elaborate an hydropower development strategic plan;
- Formulate an action plan for the development of a framework for national renewable energy generation;
- Conduct a feasibility assessment of at least 4 pilot-projects;
- Carry out an environmental and social impact assessment of the pilot-projects;
- Propose a financing framework development for small scale projects, and
- Provide concession tender assistance.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The assignment will be expected to commence in end of first quarter or the second quarter of 2009. The anticipated duration of the assignment is 12 months but the assignment may be extended subject to satisfactory services and availability of funding. The selected consultant will be engaged initially for the first phase with the second and the third phases subject to the successful completion of the first phase.
Maximum Budget available for the Assignment: EUR 800,000 (for Components I, II and III) Exclusive of VAT
-Phase I: EUR 300,000 Exclusive of VAT
-Phases II & III: EUR 500,000 Exclusive of VAT
The consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such determination in the Financial Proposal. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the consultant/s unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: The EBRD Shareholder Special Fund
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required for this assignment. The consultant will be a consulting firm or a consortium of firms with relevant experiences of EBRD's countries of operation or comparable environments. The consultant shall have:
- extensive expertise in dealing with technical, engineering, environmental, legal, institutional and economic issues relating to small to medium scale hydropower development;
- significant expertise in strategic social and environmental assessment of power development programmes, cumulative socio-environmental impact assessment of hydropower development plan, and environment and social impact assessment ("ESIA") of small to medium-sized hydropower projects; and
- relevant specific experience in Central Asia as well as CIS countries and/or other environments similar to Kyrgyz Republic.
Submission Requirements: Interested consultants are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
In order to determine the qualifications and competence of consulting firms seeking to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
- company profile, organisation and staffing with contact details - please use the format which is available through the following web-link: http://www.ebrd.com/oppor/procure/opps/contact_sheet.doc.
- details of relevant experience within the last 10 years;
- demonstrable expertise in small to medium-sized hydropower development planning and engineering; and
- proposed consultant team composition and CVs of staff who could be available to work on the assignment. It will be important to demonstrate fluency in Russian for at least some of the team members.
The above information should not exceed 20 pages excluding CVs (and the translation) .
Interested consultants should submit their expressions of interest in English, with a Russian translation, one hard copy of each by post plus one copy each electronically by e-mail to the Ministry at the address below marked "Expression of Interest for Strategic Planning for Small and Medium Sized Hydropower Development" to reach the Ministry not later than the closing date quoted above.
Mr Azamat Omorov
Lead Energy Specialist
Department of Electricity Generation and Distribution
Ministry of Industry, Energy and Fuel Resources of the Kyrgyz Republic
The expression of interest must be accompanied by a completed Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link: http://www.ebrd.com/oppor/procure/opps/contact_sheet.doc.
Further, one copy in English and one in Russian to be submitted by email should be sent to EBRD by the same closing date:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Tel: + 44 20 7338 7185
In all case of discrepancies between supplied versions, the English language shall prevail in all instances.
Note: Following this Invitation for Expression of Interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Shortlisted firms may be required to prepare proposals both in English and Russian. Shortlisting, selection and contracting will be subject to the availability of funding.